Cooking videos in here

Cooking videos in here
Click the pic to go on my YouTube Channel

Friday 17 January 2014

South Indian Prasad Recipe (easy prasad for pooja)

Hey guys I'm back.. Happy new year you all !!
I took a break as I lost my son last year, my boy Cerberus was 7 and he was and will remain the most precious and handsome Doberman you could lay your eyes on.

I'd like to start with a sweet dish guys as come what may life goes on and you got to live it and smile no matter what.


This Prasad is made during poojas and offered to god in most south Indian homes, I do not make offerings to idols but I sure love the aroma and taste of hot prasad so I make them on festivals after a nice vegetarian lunch.
Below is the pic of my boy, looking handsome as always !
 
 
Here's what you need
1/2 cup rice, traditionally unpolished red rice is used
(i stuck with basmati) boil for 10 min in 2 cups water, then drain
1/2 cup jaggery (use more if you want)
1 tbs black sesame seeds
1/2 cup beaten rice (poha)
1/8 tsp salt (do not skip the salt)
1/2 tsp cardamom powder
1/8 tsp nutmeg powder
1/4 cup cashews
few coconut pieces
2 tsp grated coconut
1/2 cup ghee
edible camphor or regular camphor used for the aroma 
 
1.2
 
3.4.

5.6.
 
My tip : Use a pressure cooker to make your life easy.
Lets start cooking !

1.
Start by adding the half cooked rice, jaggery, salt and sesame seeds into a pot or pressure cooker.
Add little water and pressure cook for 2 whistles, the jaggery melts and the rice gets mushy, this is what we want..

2.
After about 5/7 min the pressure will go and now you can remove the lid.
Add the heat back on and stir for a min, now add in the beaten rice.
At this point if you feel the mixture is very dry and sticky so add in about half cup or more  water if you want it a bit on the runny side. Stir well.

3.
Add in the cardamom and nutmeg powder and keep cooking for 10 min,till everything turns into a sticky gooey mix.
Prasad’s are mushy and sticky so do not panic. Keep the flame to low.

4.
After 10 min its time to fry the cashews and coconut.
Add in the ghee  into a pan and fry the coconut pieces and cashews till brown, switch off the flame and add in the grated coconut . Pour this into the cooked Prasad.
Usually a lot of ghee is used but I stuck to ½ cup.

5.
Mix the fried cashews and coconut into the mix really well. The ghee will make the prasad get a beautiful shiny look.
 
6.
I did not get edible camphor so I burnt the regular camphor into a steel container and placed it on top of the prasad, cover with a lid quickly so the flavours infuse.
The aroma of camphor is what gives this prasad a divine taste. 
 
Now your done. Serve warm.
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...